What's going on here?

I've made a commitment: to do one good deed per day. Large or small, it doesn't matter. Self-sacrificing or not, extraordinary or mundane, it doesn't matter. Just one thing every day, that's all.

The more I do good, the better I feel about myself. Truly, to benefit others is to benefit yourself. I hope this journal may inspire others who also yearn to do good. So join me on this journey, if you will, and think about the difference you can make in your own life.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Working late

Today was the first day of a new series of English lessons for the culture club at a junior high school. The students said they wanted to learn more English, so their teacher asked me if I would do it. I said of course I would! Like most foreign English teachers in Japan I am under-utilized, and have a lot of time on my hands. So I was happy to be asked to do more. But this commitment goes beyond normal working hours, strictly volunteer. My supervisor even made it very clear to me that if I got injured during that time, I would not be covered by work insurance. That is total bumpkiss, because all the Japanese teachers work late. But that's the crazy system they have here. So long story short I said yes, and gave my first lesson today. The students and I had a blast giving directions in English to blindfolded friends who had to find their way to the "hospital" (a picture on the floor).

ONE GOOD DEED: Stay late to teach more English on a volunteer basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment