What's going on here?

I've made a commitment: to do one good deed per day. Large or small, it doesn't matter. Self-sacrificing or not, extraordinary or mundane, it doesn't matter. Just one thing every day, that's all.

The more I do good, the better I feel about myself. Truly, to benefit others is to benefit yourself. I hope this journal may inspire others who also yearn to do good. So join me on this journey, if you will, and think about the difference you can make in your own life.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My neighbor's steps

We'll have to give this neighbor a name, because I post about her often enough. Let's call her M.K. I shoveled her steps for her today. The ironic part is, she has a son my age who is home with depression after his job and marriage exploded. I recommended it be his job to shovel, because a little bit of decent work each day is good for raising your spirits when you're feeling worthless. But he hasn't been hot on the idea, and it's always been M.K., a lady my mother's age, who does it. Finally, I went ahead and did it for her. I like it because it's an "easy A" for a good deed--gimme a break, it's hard to think of good deeds to do everyday! It makes me feel good to do it, and as an added bonus maybe it'll shame her son into doing it for her!

ONE GOOD DEED: Shovel M.K.'s steps.

2 comments: