What's going on here?

I've made a commitment: to do one good deed per day. Large or small, it doesn't matter. Self-sacrificing or not, extraordinary or mundane, it doesn't matter. Just one thing every day, that's all.

The more I do good, the better I feel about myself. Truly, to benefit others is to benefit yourself. I hope this journal may inspire others who also yearn to do good. So join me on this journey, if you will, and think about the difference you can make in your own life.

Monday, December 1, 2008

Trash in rushing traffic

After conceiving the idea for this blog, I went to bed last night flush with inspiration. So much so, in fact, that I couldn't get to sleep. When the alarm clock sounded, I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. But I dragged myself out of bed, looked in the mirror and said, "Today I'm going to do one good deed."

But I wondered if I would keep my promise. I was at a teachers conference in Sapporo, with a full day's schedule, and I just might forget my goal the moment I walked out of the hotel room. So as I stepped out for a quick run to the convenience store before seminars, I kept my eyes peeled for opportunities.

No sooner than I hit the sidewalk, I spotted a mass of garbage strewn across a busy lane. A murder of crows scavenged it between waves of traffic. Ah-ha! I thought, and quickly gathered up the trash. Rotten cabbages slimed my fingers as I replaced the trash under the net meant to protect it till the garbageman's pickup. The crows still eyed the mound but at least they would no longer endanger drivers or themselves.

Meanwhile, I strode on to the store, confident in a deed well done and quite eager to wash my hands.

ONE GOOD DEED: Clean a mound of refuse from a lane of rushing traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment