What's going on here?

I've made a commitment: to do one good deed per day. Large or small, it doesn't matter. Self-sacrificing or not, extraordinary or mundane, it doesn't matter. Just one thing every day, that's all.

The more I do good, the better I feel about myself. Truly, to benefit others is to benefit yourself. I hope this journal may inspire others who also yearn to do good. So join me on this journey, if you will, and think about the difference you can make in your own life.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Thanking a friend

After the funeral last night, I got to thinking how much I will miss some of the people here when I leave Japan. The person I will miss most was someone I never would have expected five years ago, though she's my closest Japanese friend now. M.K. is one of those people who are so nice you just want to slap them. Honestly I was suspicious for a long time--I kept feeling like "what are you gonna expect me to do to repay all this kindness?" Only after knowing her for about a year was I able to realize that she doesn't expect anything in return, she's genuinely that nice.

Tonight she had me over for dinner before English class (she's a student, and she has me over every week). I told her in the plainest words as I could manage just how happy I was that she was my friend. Unfortunately her English level isn't so high, and that contributed some awkwardness to the moment. But at the end of the day I think the point hit home.

ONE GOOD DEED: Tell a friend how grateful I am for her friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment