What's going on here?

I've made a commitment: to do one good deed per day. Large or small, it doesn't matter. Self-sacrificing or not, extraordinary or mundane, it doesn't matter. Just one thing every day, that's all.

The more I do good, the better I feel about myself. Truly, to benefit others is to benefit yourself. I hope this journal may inspire others who also yearn to do good. So join me on this journey, if you will, and think about the difference you can make in your own life.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

GiveWell and the Carter Center

I did some more raising of awareness by posting new charities to the Polythiest Charity google group. In particular, I'd like to draw attention to the charity evaluation site called GiveWell, along with its blog, The GiveWell Blog. GiveWell is particularly interesting, as it does not just give breakdowns of spending and what not--it actually takes a look at the measurable impact charities are having. The review of the Carter Center serves as an example. It finds that it has effectively fought guinea worm disease to the point of near eradication, and has other important strengths too. GiveWell seems like a very good site to keep handy.

ONE GOOD DEED: Raise awareness of charities and related sites.

image: Philemon and Baucis, by Bartolommeo Suardi Bramantino, c. 1500

1 comment:

  1. Update from GiveWell:
    The Carter Center - Part II
    http://blog.givewell.net/?p=336

    ReplyDelete