What's going on here?

I've made a commitment: to do one good deed per day. Large or small, it doesn't matter. Self-sacrificing or not, extraordinary or mundane, it doesn't matter. Just one thing every day, that's all.

The more I do good, the better I feel about myself. Truly, to benefit others is to benefit yourself. I hope this journal may inspire others who also yearn to do good. So join me on this journey, if you will, and think about the difference you can make in your own life.

Friday, March 27, 2009

A drawing for Mr. Y

When I arrived in Hiroshima, I found myself staring at one of the few buildings left standing after the atomic blast. It's now called the Atomic Bomb Dome, and it has been preserved just as it was as an eternal reminder of the devastation.



While contemplating this view, I was approached by a man on a bicycle attempting to say something to me in tortured English. I eventually figured out he was saying "cherry blossoms" which were blooming at the moment. This led into a conversation--his name was Mr. Y--, and he was a former teacher with an interest in languages. He had no job currently, appeared slightly unbalanced mentally, and apparently spent his time haunting the park on his bicycle. It was fun to talk to him, and when we discovered we both drew for a hobby, he requested a picture of the dome from me. Here is Mr. Y holding the result:


ONE GOOD DEED: Draw a picture for Mr. Y.

No comments:

Post a Comment